Saturday, March 29, 2014

REPORT OF MISSION FIELD PRACTICAL TO SASSEGBOUNU VILLAGE, BENIN REPUBLIC

ALLEN TIMILEHIN OLATUNDE
30TH SEPTEMBER 2011
REPORT FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE 2011
Every man wants to lead the church.  They only read any scripture, explain plainly and pray.  Church planting has become a business, where some boast of ownership.  Church leadership among Eguns in Sasse is ineffective.  The leaders have many wives, drink and sell ogogoro as I was told; boasting of their gifts and abilities. Unfortunately, there are no materials in their language to use.  Most church members are illiterate.  They cannot read even in François, Yoruba or Egun.  They enter church with nothing, bare hands. Church leaders spent money as they want. They somehow rely on external fund but now I encourage them to do their best.  They operate Presbyterianism form of government.  Women are nobody in the church, but entertainer, singers and dancers.  These lay leaders come to church late; yet want to sit in the front.  There is need for laymen training among the Eguns.
Their women are nursing mothers till menopause.  They are always with small children sucking, with uncovered breast which might cause diseases for them and their children.  There is no provision for the children in the church.  I discovered that they have no family planning programme in the land.  They procreate anyhow, yet at the expense of mother’s health.  I discovered constant and consisted record of infant’s death in the land in which I was told of children that died recently.  I perceived by what I saw that they believe the cause to be spiritual mostly, but it is more than that; unhygienic lifestyle, dirty motherhood and careless taking of herbs etc. Their women mostly wear armless blouse and something goes half nude.  It means nothing to them.  I observed that most ladies suffer from early motherhood, in which I witnessed. In the church, dirtiness is not seen as immoral such as spitting inside the church and all such. I rebuked them.
My visit to Tshito village, I discovered some errors in their worship. There is no starting time for service, anytime of the leader is the time.  The worship service is casual to them.  The leader did not have any preparation for the Sunday school, but few minutes to the class, he checked through the Bible for anything.  The leader goes out anyhow to answer call, even during service. I could not attend this. The Sunday school started from 10.00a.m and ended 12.14p.m. It was frustrating. The leader read a whole chapter and explained from verse 1 till 22.  It is their tradition even in Sasse and Hessa church, because there is no Sunday School booklet to use. The worship service ended around 2.15p.m. Everyone was tired - sleeping, dozing and deeply slept.  The worship was like social gathering - no sacredness.  The leadership causes the lukewarmness of the worship. During Sunday school, the leader will pause, meditate, ask another fellow beside him before he can say something.
In Sasse, the church is without a pastor, but Rev Salami advised the church to build Pastorium. I encouraged them but they dragged it, yet I refused to be discouraged.  I did what I could do manually with teenagers around me. The men of the church are not encouraging but I kept encouraging them in God’s word. Church leadership had led many members to quit, stop or change membership.  There is conflict on lifestyle of leaders and what they preach.  Therefore, for this month, I preach salvation, and salvation. I led prayers to ignite their spiritual life. I educated teenagers to read Yoruba Bible as church future leaders.
 REPORT FOR THE MONTH OF JULY 2011
The commitment of Sasse church members fell a bit, especially the leaders. Many did not come to church again. One of them told me that, “He is on holiday.” I discovered that the presence of any minister became threat to their leadership in terms of preaching, intellectuality, charisma and coordination. However, I daily charged and encouraged during visitation or along the street. They waited for my exit as their point again into the church.
Again, the commitment of my interpreter dropped due to her work in this season. She did give her best this time as she confessed. Most time she left her work half done to attend to me. Sincerely she needs to be compensated if she will continue well.
I discovered that their Bible study is not consistent as it should be. Whenever I visited Hessa village, goats and sheep would have defeated, slept deep inside the church even at the Bible study time. Their leader only attended the class once when I was there. Also in Sasse, the leaders never attended once. Most time, Bible study is cancelled or delayed due to market day transactions. This is clear because they are all farmers.
We started the foundation bricks laying in this month. To my surprise, the leader of the church did not come to oversee the project. I have to go their everyday to manage the project. I drew architectural plan of the house and I acted as the foreman also. However, their morale jumped up when they say what has been done within in short time. Therefore, they contributed labour and cash towards the work.
I observed that most leaders have more than one wife. My interpreter told me that it is a taboo to remain on one wife as they believed. The leaders are immoral as the outside world sees them. Many refused to attend because of leadership. In Sasse, the leader sits with drunkards as they enjoy ogogoro. The leader never preached on these subjects of immoral. Some members left the church because of half-baked leaders and their shallow messages. With all these, I was able to do what I could do as the Lord helped me.
 What I did during the Mission trip to Sassegbonou
1.     I led six weeks Bible studies in Sassegbonou church.
2.     I led also five times Bible studies in Hessa church.
3.     I preached in Sassegbonou, Hessa and Tshito village.
4.     I organized language tutorial class for the teenagers during their holiday. Purposely to help them to read Yoruba Bible.
5.     I visited families to read Bible and pray with them.
6.     I went to villages for visitations and prayers - Sassegbonou, Hessa, Sebenou, Gbedji, Chiata and Tshito.
7.     I championed and fashioned out the project of building Pastorium for the church. Rev Salami raised the idea. I drew architectural plan and acted as foreman too.
8.     I counseled everyone that visited me or I visited at home or on the street.
9.     I conducted four night vigils both at Sassegbonou and Hessa villages.
10.  I led the church, especially the teens and few elders around on the humanitarian service to one another.
11.  I restructured the church government system.
12.  I visited church members in their farms, prayed with them.
13.  I was able to settle dispute in the land as God helped me.
14.  I taught teenagers around morals through children Bible reading.
15.  I strengthened their morning devotions since the day I came. We met 5.30am everyday. I woke them up for the service. I encouraged continuity.
16.  I taught Sunday school lessons for four times in Sassegbonou in Yoruba language.
17.  I did street and market evangelism, not all the time.
18.  I mobilized church members in packing sands, gravel and bricks for the church Pastorium.
19.  In all these, God is my Director and Help. I return all glory, power and praise back to Him alone.

 What I observed they need as a church
1.     The church need spiritual leader, an indigene of the land or anyone that can speak without interpreters.
2.     They need good and spiritual discipleship materials in François or Egun languages such as Sunday school materials, discipleship booklets and children books. They also need Bible in François.
3.     They need financial assistance in completing the new church Pastorium. Their thirst for good leadership will be half-solved if the house is completed. They still need 80 bags of cement, labour bills, metals, roofing sheets, planks, windows, doors etc.
4.     They need constant visitation in order to supervise the work and to encourage the members and the leaders.
5.     They need orientation and aid on health matters.
6.     They are farmers; therefore they need help in getting updated information, seedlings and management of crops.
7.     They need adult literacy education programme in the church.
 Recommendations for Sassegbonou Mission Fields
1.     There is need to prepare the missionary coming to this land with handful information relevant to the field.
2.     Anyone coming to Sassegbonou should have good knowledge of French and Yoruba language.
3.     Missionary on field should enjoy health scheme because of any emergence that is First Aid etc.
4.     Leadership orientation programme should be organized for the present laymen leaders in the area.
5.     Baptist Union in Benin Republic should me made responsible on the welfare of the churches in Sasse.
6.     Indigene of this area should be trained as their pastor.
7.     GNBC should know the health history of any sent missionary into the land.
8.     It is recommended that the interpreters be compensated minimally.
9.     There is need to Provide mobility for the missionary such as Bicycle.
10.  Medical experts can visit the land for medical outreach.
11.  It is recommended that teachings or expository documentary be shown on danger of smoking and alcohol in the land.
12.  All these recommendations are useful and relevant to Sassegbonou land.

Reported by
Allen Olatunde
7th August 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment